Bill Hillman Presents
Forces: Land ~ Air ~ Sea
A MILITARY TRIBUTE WEBZINE
. . . AS YOU WERE . . .
Compiled by Bill Hillman
. . Editor and Webmaster: Bill Hillman: firstname.lastname@example.org
MARCH 2009a ISSUE
LIBERATION OF NIEUPORT
BY THE MANITOBA DRAGOONS
1. XII Manitoba Dragoons coming from Diksmuide (Dixmude)
have a stop at the small village of Ramskapelle (now part of Nieuwpoort).
2. German prisoners from a coastal battery captured by the resistance
and the Canadians.
(Photo either from September 8th or 9th)
3. Staghound in Marktplein (Market Place) Nieuwpoort.
4. Grote Markt ~ September 7, 1944
5. Staghound in Martktplein. Policeman in foreground.
In the background is St. Bernarduscollege which was a German miltary
hospital with red cross on roof.
In the playground was a large bunker to house the headquarters
of the Germans.
6. Marktplein. The inhabitants are gathering.
7. Marktplein. The inhabitants are gathering.
8. An indication of the immense happiness the liberators were
Canadians on Kerkstraat
10. Canadians in Church street. In the background is part of Our
11. Corner of Highstreet and Churchstreet. Our Lady's Church in
12. Churchstreet. In the background Townhall and Belfry.
13. (Another part of) Churchstreet.
14. After their stop at 1 the Canadians continue through Ramskapelle
(presbytery right) to Nieuwpoort.
click for full-page
15. Inhabitants have gathered on Market Place. (College in background.)
People at the back are standing on two Staghounds.
(Up to now we have found 12 survivors of this party.)
Related Belgium School Project:
William G. Hillman
& SUE-ON HILLMAN ECLECTIC STUDIO
Editor and Webmaster Bill Hillman
~ Copyright 1996-2021
Photo processing and Web design by Bill