Bill Hillman's Monthly Military Tribute
2023.09 Edition
BCATP Researchers Greg Sigurdson and Bill Hillman 
celebrated Canada's 150th Birthday in 2017 
by creating 150 illustrated vignettes for Brandon's BCATP Museum site. 
When the museum suddenly changed their Website 
all this work was trashed, 
along with all of my +20 years work (2,000 Webpages) 
created as a volunteer Webmaster and host for their site.
Fortunately I had paid for all their Web hosting charges on my personal server, 
so I'm gradually giving the pages new life, 
but after having to change countless thousands of links. 
Canada 150 Vignette Series
British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Vignettes
PART XV: Nos. 71-75
By Greg Sigurdson (1955 - 2023) and Bill Hillman
71. How Canada Paid for World War II

72.  A WWII Memory - F/Sgt. Morley Gorrie
73. BCATP Aircraft: The Fleet Finch
74. A WWII Memory -- Sam and Glen Merrifield Part 4
75.  Stuart Johnson Oral History Video
Many of the illustrations may be clicked for full screen size.

071-75: How Canada Paid for World War II
The cost to Canada for its involvement in World War II was $21.8 billion. One-half of this cost was covered by the sale of War Savings Certificates and Victory War Bonds.

The certificates were first sold door-to-door by volunteers as well as at banks, post offices and other dealers. They matured after seven years and yielded $5 for every $4 invested. Buyers were restricted to owning no more than $600 worth of certificates. This program yielded $318 million in funds (loans) to the government for the war effort.

The sale of Victory Bonds provided much more capital for the war effort. With 11 Victory Bond drives, $12.5 billion was raised. Maturity of the bonds varied from six to 14 years with interest rates set at 1.5% and 3%. Victory bonds were available in denominations between $50 and $100,000. Sales equalled $550 per Canadian citizen although businesses actually purchased one half of the total. The first two bond drives met their sales targets within 48 hours of being issued.

A great deal of organization went into running this program including formalizing organization of the program under direction of the Governor of the Bank of Canada to development of a marketing (propaganda) program to recruiting volunteers. Posters in addition to direct mailings and movie, magazine and newspaper ads were used to spread the word – samples are attached.

The following articles were included in the
Fingal Observer – November 1943, station magazine of No. 4 Bombing & Gunnery School, Fingal Ontario.

Caption for picture of WD with Blonde poster
What Have These Blondes Got That We Haven’t?
A date with the blonde that adorns Fingal’s bond posters sounds all right—but definitely. But move your eyes a trifle left. It’s Cpl. Margaret Kennedy, of accounts, a little brunette who’ll give any blonde a nice run for any airman’s heart. There’s really no story behind this photo—in fact, we’re struck for what to say. But it does make a picture, and if it helps to sell you a bond—well our purpose is accomplished.

Fifth Victory Loan Sales Go Over the Mark With a Bang

Fingal’s Victory bond quota of $50,000 has been subscribed in full. At press time, sales were over the $60,000 mark and going strong as purchases by service and civilian personnel continued to mount daily.

An energetic committee, headed by S/L J. Poupure and a group of live-wire captains and canvassers are responsible for the success of the campaign. Committee members include:…

The campaign was enlivened by several incidents, notably the "Case of the Missing Blondes," Three posters entitled "You’ve Got a Date With a Blonde’’" disappeared from outside the drill hall the morning after they were tacked up. Rumors flew thick and fast. it had been censored. The campaign was off. And so on. But the truth was that some playful airman, perhaps on his way home from the canteen, had ripped 'em off.

It all reacted to the good of the campaign since it was the topic of conversation for a few hours at least—until new blondes were put up.

All the smart hand-painted posters around camp were done by LAC Harry Switzer of workshops. Brownie of M.T. handled the sound truck which toured the station, playing "Colonel Bogey’s March" and giving short bond pep-talks.

One of F/O White’s prospects, an N.C.O. pilot in bombing flight, handed him $500 in hard cash for a bond—and he couldn’t take it! Cash sales are not allowed, except by cheque. So our pilot friend had to open a bank account in St. Thomas and promptly issue a cheque against it.

Believe it or not, one canvasser didn’t want to sell an AC2 a bond, when he found it would leave him with $7 per pay day. But Mr. AC2 insisted so hard that he was signed up.

A doubtful F/O in the hangar area didn’t know whether he’d buy or not… or just what he’d do.

The Canvasser was beginning to have trouble with him until an F/L stepped up and said he’d double anything the F/O bought. The F/O took $350 worth….

Word comes from overseas that members of the RCAF Moose Squadron are helping buy the bombs they drop on Germany.

At the close of the first day in the squadron’s loan campaign, the airmen subscribed $25,150 of the $30,000 objective.

Quota Is More Than Half Subscribed on First Day

OCTOBER 18 was doubleheader day at Fingal, with a wings parade and the opening of the bond drive. When Class 63 WAGs (Wireless Air Gunners) stepped up for their wings, they had bond receipts in their pockets almost to a man. Twenty graduates took $1,200 worth of bonds on their last day here. And the station as a whole took $37,450 worth -- over half the quota of $50,000 -- on the first day.

"Altogether, a very good show," said S/ L Poupore, chairman, who paid tribute to the energetic captains and canvassers.

Even the Nazi Leaders Are Buying War Bonds, Believe It or Not!

We sure met a dumb cluck the other night. He thought that when he bought a war bond he was contributing something to the cause. Like a donation to the Red Cross, He thought he was "giving" instead of receiving. We said right out loud: "look at this dumb bastard; he thinks he is GIViNG something, instead of making a swell investment."

And much to our surprise, most of the group to whom we addressed these well-chosen remarks had the same idea. They thought they were making a terrific sacrifice by buying bonds.

"Well," we said, "if you were going to invest some loose change in General Motors or some such stock, would you consider vou were making any sacrifice?" They all agreed that they would not. "OK, then," we went on, "how long would General Motors be worth a nickel if this country went smash?" They all agreed that their investment wouldn't be worth a dime.

"All right, again," we said, "there is no thing more solid and substantial than the Canadian government. When it falls, everything falls. But it ain't going to fall. So when you buy bonds all you are doing is investing your money in the safest and best investment in the world today.

"When even the Nazi leaders are buying war bonds because they know that their money will be safe."

More Victory Bond {osters at AS YOU WERE . . . Military Tribute Site

Click for full-size collage poster

072 of 150: A WWII Memory - F/Sgt. Morley Gorrie
This oral history was submitted by Edith M. Gorrie, wife of Morley Gorrie.

Oral History: Morley Gorrie Jan 12, 1913- July 27, 1997

Morley was married on June 6, 1942 to Edith Margaret Appleyard. In September of 1942 he enlisted and as he already had pharmaceutical training, he would serve in that capacity with no further military training.

Was stationed to Angular ON, which was located near Marathon ON. Here he worked at the Japanese Internment Camp which was situated close to Angular. There were no roads leading to the camp, so Morley was required to take the train into camp in the morning and home again at night.

He was then stationed to Portage La Prairie MB for a while, then on to Borden.

In April 1944, he was sent overseas on the Lie de France. On arrival in England, he spent a few months in the south before being transferred to the continent, where he served in Belgium and Holland in convalescent homes.

This put him between the two firing lines, as the Allied forces moved through Europe towards the German front. He remained here until December 1945, as returning troops often passed through the hospital before going back to England and home.

Morley returned to England in December 1945 and eventually started for home on Jan 17, 1946. His return passage was made on the Queen Elizabeth, were he was paged to work in the ship hospital.

His daughter Carol Louise was born on Nov 4, 1943. This was approximately the same time that Morley's brother Chuck was reported missing. Morley returned home to see his daughter and his family.

While serving in the hospital in Holland, a civilian woman came in with an injury to her leg. Morley gave her all the aid that he could and in return the women gave him a little sun dress for his daughter. At the end of the war this was probably one of the only nice things this women still had. Morley brought the dress home and it is still a treasured family heirloom.

We have a picture of the house where Morley and Edith lived in the 1940s.

It is now a Heritage Site in the village of Wawanesa, Manitoba. Morley was one of six boys born to William and Amelia Gorrie. Morley’s father was a pharmacist who owned the drug store in Wawanesa. Morley took over the pharmacy in 1946.

We are curious about the rank insignia in Morley Gorrie's picture. He appears to be a Flight Sergeant which seems appropriate for an airman working as a pharmacist in the RCAF. We were unable to find an explanation for what appears to be a capital 'T' and wreath between the sergeant stripes and the King's Crown. If anyone has the answer to this mystery, please let us know.

073 of 150: BCATP Aircraft: The Fleet Finch
Fleet Finch on display at the CATP Museum in Brandon
The Fleet Finch was a primary elementary training aircraft in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. It is a two seat biplane produced by the Fleet Aircraft Company of Fort Erie Ontario under license of the Consolidated Aircraft Company. Of the total of 606 Flet Finches produced, 431 were used by the BCATP. The Royal Canadian Air Force model, the Fleet 16 was first produced with a tandem open cockpit. it soon became obvious that in order to fly in Canadian winters, cockpits must be enclosed. New Finches were equipped with a sliding canopy and those in service without a canopy were retrofitted with one.

Two varients of the Fleet Finch were used by the Royal Canadian Air Force. The first was the Model 16R (Finch 1) of which 27 were built for the RCAF and were powered by the Kinner R5-2 five cylinder radial engine. The second variant was the Model 16B (Finch II) of which 404 were built for the RCAF. It was powered by the Kinner B5-R five cylinder radial engine.

With over 8,000 produced for various air forces of the world, the Tiger Moth overwhelmed the Fleet Finch by numbers but both were was used in the Elementary Flying Training Schools. Twelve of 25 RCAF EFTS schools utilized the Fleet Finch while 15 RCAF schools and three RAF schools used the Tiger Moth. Five of the RCAF schools used both the Fleet Finch and the Tiger Moth to train students. Eventually during World War II, the RCAF replaced both of these aircraft with the Fairchild Cornel. The last Finches were struck off RCAF inventory in 1947.

For the Fleet Finch, maximum speed is 104 mph, cruise speed is 85 mph, range is 300 miles and service ceiling is 10,500 feet.

British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Schools 
using the Fleet Finch for elementary training:
No. 3 London, Ontario (Finch)

No. 4 Windsor Mills, Quebec (Finch and Moth) at Saint-François-Xavier-de-Brompton, Quebec Picture
No. 7 Windsor, Ontario (Finch, Cornell)
No. 10 Hamilton, Ontario, moved to Pendleton, Ontario (Moth, Finch and Cornell at Pendleton)
No. 11 Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Quebec (Finch and Cornell)
No. 12 Goderich, Ontario (Finch)
No. 13 St. Eugene, Ontario (Finch, Cornell)
No. 14 Portage la Prairie, Manitoba (Moth and Finch)
No. 16 Edmonton, Alberta (Moth and Finch)
No. 17 Stanley, Nova Scotia (Finch and Moth)
No. 21 Chatham, New Brunswick (Finch)
No, 22 No. 22 L’Ancienne-Lorette, Quebec (Finch), Quebec (Finch)

Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum

074 of 150: A WWII Memory -- Sam and Glen Merrifield Part 4
Pocklington Summer 1941-rear: Sam Merrifield, McQueen, Jack Buller on bed

Jack Burnett, Tom Cranston, Bob Ford above ???, Paddy Hughes down front.
In Part 4 of the Merriefield Brothers' recollection of their World War II experiences, we find them settling into life in 405 Canadian Squadron of the Royal  Canadian Air Force in Pocklington, Yorkshire, England. In this installment, Glen and Sam talk about life on the job with an operational bomber squadron. It explores their duties as Wireless (Radio/Radar) Operator Mechanics, their role and intereactions with their commanding officer and details of a 405 Squadron mission to Germany.

In our time at Driffield we had learned to do a DI (Daily Inspection) on the wireless gear of a Wellington bomber. This was a relatively simple procedure at or about aircrew technical requirement and no problem for a Wireless Operator. However now we were at Pocklington with an operational Squadron and required the expertise to install and repair the equipment and Sam & I had not had this training. Two lads, Alec "Hutch" Hutcheon and Norm "Roxy" Lawson arrived from Cranwell where they had been retrained from WOGs Wireless Operator Ground) to WOMs Wireless Operator Mechanic), the same course Jack Duller had been posted to take. This program was converting Operators, no longer needed due to teleprinters, to Mechanics to staff #6 Group which was being planned.

In mid-summer 1941 when Sam's posting to Cranwell for the course arrived we went to the Padre and he had it cancelled so Sam and I would not be separated. When mine arrived it was also cancelled. We were LAC "B" Group WOGs and Hutch and Roxy were LAC "B" Group WOMs. In the fall we were all sent to another drome to take a trade test to raise the WOMs to "A" Group and see if Sam and I had learned enough to be rated as WOMs. We all sat in a waiting room as Hutch, who was first in, came out and gave us the thumbs down sign. Next Roxy gave the same. Sam went in and also came out with negative results. I knew I didn't stand a prayer so when I went in, I went on the attack. I asked the testing Sergeant how come the RAF lads could join our section and be promoted through the 15 grades by our "Chiefie" (Flight Sergeant in command of a Technical Section as opposed to an aircrew Flight Sergeant who was in command of only himself) and we poor RCAF types had all this trade testing to go through. My point was his theory covered the entire field, not just the equipment we used on our aircraft and knew pretty well. I also pointed up we would get training as equipment changed so why the need of a double standard?  The outcome was that he let his failure of the WOMs stand but agreed Sam and I would be rated WOM "C" Group to allow us to stay with our buddies on the Squadron. I think we went on one more formal trade test and made "B" Group. We were later promoted to "A" Group at the Squadron. This was important as each trade group rating made your pay increase 25 cents a day. It also made us promotable to Corporal which was only open to "A" Group technicians. This happened later but the next step to Sergeant never came as that would have ended our "togetherness" as our Bomber Squadron only had one.

There were basically three types of airdromes occupied by Bomber Command. The permanent bases, which Sam described previously, of brick, centrally heated with the buildings and hangars in one Pocklington Summer 1941 – rear – Sam Merrifield, McQueen, Jack Buller on bed, Jack Burnett, Tom Cranston, Bob Ford above ???, Paddy Hughes down front.

The early wartime built dromes were similar except the buildings were wooden or stucco construction, with no central heating. Our heat was a small pot-bellied stove in each hut and the coal supply was quite inadequate althogh we could get all the coke we wanted but had no kindling and coke is very hard to start. This is the type of drome we had at Pocklington. The third type were dispersed compounds of Nissen (Quonset to North Americans) corrugated iron huts once again heated by the small pot-bellied stove. Beaulieu and Gransden fell in the latter category. When the U.S.A. came over they got an equal share of the good and the bad so you can imagine they were not popular with the people who were moved from a permanent base to the opposite to let them Yanks have the best.

My first recollection of "Pock" was sitting on the workbench in our workshop which was in a lean-to row of workshops on the side of a large hangar. This tremendous crash sounded and I was sure it was a bomb and was half way across the hangar on the dead run when I noticed some guys standing in the hangar doorway laughing at me. The noise I heard was the only thunder I remember hearing in all my more than four years overseas.

A few days later in a hit and run raid we were bombed but no damage except Bob Ford, our Sergeant, pulled a muscle climbing to the top of the hangar to put out some Incendiary Bombs. During this period Jerry and his bombs got to be a damned nuisance. Our drome was 20 miles NW of Kingston-on-Hull which was bombed regularly, being a major coastal port. We were the secondary target and any bombs that got hung up on Jerry's run up over Hull came our way. What was worse was the fact that the Military Police came to the sleeping quarters and insisted in their quaint way that everyone go to the shelters. This caused us a lot of missed sleep and we soon learned to make the best of it. This was done by putting your Wellingtons (rubber boots to Canadians) next to your pants and your greatcoat, along with your gas mask and tin hat in a quick grab position. When the air raid siren sounded, you jumped up, put on your pants over your pyjamas, slipped into your Wellingtons, put on your greatcoat, grabbed your tin hat and gas mask and headed for shelter. If you got there in time to get a spot where you could have a backrest you could doze a little, otherwise, tough luck. This particular night I could not get comfortable in my corner . It was pitch black and although something kept digging into my back I could not find out what it was. When we returned to our billet and took off my coat, the coat hangar fell on the floor... case solved.

One of Sam's 1980 anecdotes follows... It is fair to say that, on balance, the ground crew on 405 Squadron; certainly in Driffield and Pocklington days, may not have been outright disrespectful of rank but neither did they hold a person in awe because of it. Those of us who were in Driffield saw LAC's riding as tail gunner on some of the earliest crews. Undoubtedly, we all respected and often envied them for the job they were doing which certainly extended to the squadron and flight commanders. We were for short periods commanded by a Flight Lieutenant and our Group Captains arranged from that up to and including Group and in each case the job that they were doing was the determining factor.

When Johnny Fauquier came to the squadron, he was a mere flight lieutenant among ten or twelve others of that rank and all were busy doing their thing. At or about that time, we were losing two or three kites every time we flew on operations and with a compliment of some twenty-two aircraft, including spares, of which a couple would be receiving periodic inspections, it took only ten sorties (less than a month) to lose the equivalent of the whole squadron. Additionally, at that time some of our senior crews were being siphoned off to lend experience to the many other Canadian bomber squadrons that were being formed in other parts of Yorkshire.

Thus, before Johnny had begun to show his metal, he ended up as our squadron commander and for a very short time was still squadron leader. In a couple of respects, he was a slow learner. Firstly, he did not have his priorities correct with regard to aircrew vis-à-vis ground crew. He had not yet learned that by virtue of their function, the aircrews were short term squadron members whereas the ground crew was not and whenever a ground crew member came before him on charge his prejudice showed when he threw the book at them. His other problem was that he could not shake his bushpilot habit of getting down to where he could see things beneath him and so when coming home, he always dropped once he was over the North Sea. One Night he came in contact with a barrage balloon cable as he was crossing the coast above Hull. In one fell swoop he quickly learned the value of keeping his aircraft up and of having hard working conscientious ground crew personnel. Fortunately the cable cutters on the leading of his mainplane worked like a charm and very little damage was done. From that night on, "J" for johnny, LQ_J on her flanks, (the finest kite that ever flew according to the scotch mechanic Jock Rose) stayed up where it belonged until it got home  and the members of the ground crew were assured of a fair hearing and minimal punishment any time they came up before Johnny on a charge... end of anecdote.

Johnny did two tours with us, One on mainforce at Pocklington and one on Pathfinders at Gransden. He won the DSO and two bars and the DFC. He was Canada's most decorated airman in the second World War and the only Canadian in any service to win three DSOs. He ended the war as an Air Commodore after a third tour as Commanding Officer of the Famous Dambuster Squadron #617.

The Squadron's first daylight raid was on July 24, 1941. The following is taken from the OPERATIONS RECORD BOOK:

BOMBING ATTACK ON "GNIESENAU" IN DRY DOCK - Pocklington Operations Order No. 12  Aircraft H.V. & M. to carry cameras. Bomb Load - 4 a/craft, 1 x 2000 A.P., 4 X 500 S.A.P., 5 a/craft 8x500 S.A.P. Weather: excellent over target; no clouds, good visibility. Between 1532 - 1540 hours all our a/craft in the face of intense flak and fighter  opposition are known to have been over the target at an average height of about 12000 ft. Owing to an error in the setting of the distributor arm, one a/craft failed to release its bombs. One a/ craft definitely straddled the cruiser, and all the a/craft bombed the target with success, some direct hits being certain. One a/craft (S/Ldr Bisset) returned with fine photographs of the target. The docks and surrounding districts were severally asted. The GNIESENAU was enveloped in smoke from fires, both on target and on the quays. "V" (Sgt Craig) was attacked in successive air battles by four enemy a/craft, three M.E. 109's and one unidentified. Fine evasive action, and return fire from the gunner (Sgt Higgins), and the front gunner, (Sgt Hughes) accounted for two M.E .. The first M.E. broke off to attack "O" (P/0 Trueman) the second, hit by Sgt Higgins, was seen to dive seaward, it's engine in flames; the third enemy a/craft hit by two bursts from Sgt Hughes, was seen to fall, tail down; the fourth was not seen, but bullets penetrated the  fuselage of "V" from its guns. The fabric of the fuselage of "V" was on fire, and was extinguished by Sgt Alec Bain (WT/AG). With extensive damage to the whole plane, with the rear turret out of action and the gunner injured; and losing height to sea level, Sgt Craig made for home, all the crew except the second pilot and himself at the tail of the plane in order to weigh it down. 300 yards from land, the plane made a crash landing in the sea. The crew made for shore in a Dinghy and were picked up in a motor boat and taken ashore. Sgt Higgins was removed to hospital injured. Only the tail of the plane appeared above water. "Q" (Sgt Farmborough) was the plane of which the bombs were by error not released. "Q" was attacked by a M.E.109 at 600 yards. At 100 yards it broke away and "Q' s" rear gunner, F/Sgt Parsons fired forty rounds from each gun into it's exposed belly. The enemy a/craft dived straight down. "L"(Sgt Scott) had estimated a direct hit on the GNIESENAU with a 500 lb A.P. "L" was attacked by a He 113 over Brest, but the enemy a/craft broke off the engagement. From dead astern "L" was then attacked by an Me 109 and cannon and M/G bullets pierced the fuselage. The rear gunner Sgt Dearnley, was badly injured, and the a/craft suffered severe damage. A crash landing was made at ROBOROUGH, and the machine was further damaged to extricate Sgt Dearnley. He died later in hospital, Two of our a/craft, captained by our Wing Commander and C.O., P.A. Gilchrist, D.F.C. and P/0 Trueman were reported missing "0" (P/0 Trueman) was last seen diving steeply followed by an ME 109. Photographs were taken as reported by "H", S/Ldr Bisset, 4 machines were lost, and 2 crews.

The Brest raid is remembered as our first 'biggie' and losing the CO did not do much for the squadron image. I am pleased to report that the W/C evaded capture and returned to the battle but not with our squadron. He attended the 1970 reunion and lives in Toronto. Alec Bain was a well liked WAG and our friendship with him went to the point of our being invited to his home in Aberdeen when on leave there. One of my memories of Pocklington was  written up for the 1980 anecdotes and is as follows...

The Duke of Kent was the ranking Royalty that visited the squadron early in the war. The King and Queen visited on January 10, 1944, but that is another story. His visit came at Pocklington not too long before he was lost on a Scottish mountain in a Sunderland crash.

Now our hut was the closest to the Headquarters Building and so we knew we were to be  inspected when three were chosen as that mornings "hut sluts" because we usually only had one. I was one so nobly chosen and when we had the place spic and span the other  two decided to change to their best blues. Not me; I was, in my own view at least; an old sweat, or at least older than the others. I stayed in my working blues, dirty buttons and all and we stood at the head of the beds as the entourage entered. Now the usual "ten-shun" etc. left us ram rod stiff and the Duke headed straight for me. He asked where I was  from, how long I had been overseas etc.. As he spoke he put his foot up on the bed frame and leaned his left elbow on his knee, very chummy like. Now as I made my reply I noticed the Group Captain staring at me with eyes on fire and I looked down to realize I had put my  right foot up on the bed frame and rested my right elbow on my knee to see eyeball to eyeball with the Duke. Well I got it down real fast and the Duke smiled and I thought I was for the jumps. I never heard a thing so have always felt the Duke interceded on my behalf. He seemed a real good guy.

RCAF 405 Squadron Lancaster aircraft

405 Squadron Wireless Section ~ Glen and Sam Merrifield at Pocklington

075 of 150:  Stuart Johnson Oral History Video
Stuart Johnson is a long time member and volunteer at the Commonwealth Air Training Museum.  Stuart with wife Donna, visited hundreds of cemeteries where World War II service men and women were buried or memorialized. They visited almost every country in the world where military operations occurred during World War II. With the wealth of knowledge and pictures collected from these trips, Stuart and Donna made presentations to dozens of groups telling the story of those who died together with important history for each location. Stuart made many Remembrance Day presentations at the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum.

Stuart Johnson was too young to 'join-up' in World War II and subsequently experienced it as a young boy living in rural Manitoba. He had one sister who joined the Canadian Navy and two brothers who joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, of which one was killed in action overseas.

Stuart sat down with staff at the museum in December 2000 to record his Oral History of World War II experiences. His video is a collection of touching and informative remembrances  covering many topics including a family’s reaction to having a loved one in the armed forces and losing a loved one to the war, how the armed forces in training affected local life, rationing, collecting tin foil and other important recyclable items to help Canada’s manufacturers produce essential war items as well as other interesting stories.

Stuart Johnson’s 40 minute Oral History Video is a valuable experience for us all. It can be seen on YouTube at:

Stuart has taken his camera to a multitude of European battle sites and cemeteries to produce a remarkable one-hour slide show entitled "Freedom is not Free." His presentation drives home the horrors of war by featuring scenes of military cemeteries, concentration camps and other historical sites related to WWI and WWII. Stuart's array of photographs and well-researched, touching commentary combine to produce a fitting tribute to those Canadians who gave us the freedom we enjoy today.

We are privileged to share with you here, a sampling of some of the photos that Bill Hillman took during Stuart's presentation at a CATP Museum Remembrance Day Service:

Stuart Johnson's FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
The complete text of Stuart's Memorial Slide Presentation is displayed at our accompanying script website.
Stuart Johnson's FREEDOM IS NOT FREE Script

Click for full-size collage poster

BCATP Vignettes are Continued in PART XVI: Nos. 76-80

CANADA 150 Contents Page:

Contact Greg Sigurdson at:

Contact Bill Hillman at:

As You Were . . .
F.L.A.S.H.: Forces ~ Land ~ Air ~ Sea ~ Home
As You Were . . .
Military Tributes
Navigation Chart to the
Hillman WWII Tributes
Short Bursts
Ex-Air Gunners Association

Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum: RCAFHMCS Prince Robert: Hillman WWII Scrapbook - RCNXII Dragoons - 26 RCA Museum
Webmaster: William G. Hillman
Editor and Webmaster Bill Hillman ~ Copyright 1999-2023