The Hillman Stereoview Archive
www.hillmanweb.com/3d
Views of Old China
3-D Stereoview Cards: Gallery Thirty-Nine
Canton Life
Ancient China in 3D: Gallery Gallery Thirty-Nine


Mandarin in Sedan Chair and Attendants


Outside View of a Wealthy Chinese Merchant's House


Intrance to a Canton Temple


Junk Sailing Ship at Sea 1907


How a Bride and Bridegroom are Represnted on the Chinese Stage

The Tourist's Guide to Canton, the West River and Macao
Ref: R.C. Hurley 1898 Excerpt ~ oldshameen.com
Shameen is an artificial island formed of sand as its name implies, and is located to the south of the western suburb of the City. An irregular oval, it is about half a mile in length by some three hundred yards in breadth, and comprises two Concessions: one British and the other French. It is conveniently situated for access, having its principal or south bund facing the harbour or anchorage of the merchant shipping. Shameen is perhaps one of the most delightful as well one of the healthiest foreign settlements in the Far East. It has a very pleasant promenade, fines avenues of the always verdant Banyan trees, splendid grass cultivation, small but pretty gardens, a grand suite of Tennis Courts not to be surpassed anywhere in China, and a number of handsome and substantially built residences, the homes of elegance, comfort, ease and luxury. Shameen would appear to be the safe retreat of nearly all the feathered tribe of the neighbourhood; wild pigeons and ring-doves with their constant cooing; thrushes and blackbirds with their charming melodious song; many varieties of fringilla with their pretty twitterings; the independent and impudent mina with his eccentric sort of whistle; the bittern and other birds of the heron family; and the homely, but impudent little house sparrows, all are residents, and contribute to add to the beauties of the settlement. Even the nightingale is suspected of paying an occasional nocturnal visit for the purpose of improvising a moon-light sonata. Every visitor to Canton should, before breakfast, do the walk round Shameen, as it occupies only half an hour and affords much pleasant variety of scene: on the one hand the toiling country boats with their treadmill-like stern wheels hurrying away for their day’s trip, on the other the many beauties above described.


A Guide to the City and Suburbs of Canton: 1904
Ref: Dr. Kerr Excerpt ~ oldshameen.com
This is the chief residence of Europeans and is delightfully situated on the Macao passage, where coasting steamers and gunboats anchor. The island, is 2,850 feet long by 950 wide, and is separated from the Western suburbs on the north by a canal 100 feet wide.

Two bridges connect Shameen with the City. Its site was formerly occupied by two forts, which were surrounded by mud-flats left bare at low tide, but covered with rickety boats and shanties on piles. In 1859-62 it was enclosed by a granite wall, and filled in at a cost of about $325,000. On the 10th September 1883, nine houses (including Concordia Hall) and five bungalows were burned by a mob. The western part of the island - four-fifth of the whole – forms the British Concession and the eastern part the French Concession. Each Concession has its own Municipal Council and police, and is ruled by its own by-laws. Starting from the Victoria Hotel one finds first the British Municipal police station, and the Canton Dispensary of A.S. Watson and Company Limited, overlooking the western bridge. Beyond this is the Theatre in which concerts, balls and dramatic performances are given during the winter months. At the western end of the island are the Portuguese Consulate and the boathouse of the Shameen Rowing Club. In the street which runs through the middle of the settlement will be found the Masonic Hall (No.105), Canton Club and Library (No.112) and the French Roman Catholic Church. The Telegraph Office is near the street running across by the Roman Catholic Church. The Bund is beautifully shaded with banyan trees and plentifully supplied with seats, and affords many curious and interesting glimpses of river life. Walking along this promenade one notes first the Post Office recently erected by the Government of French Indo-China, then the French Gardens with their bandstand. Overlooking them are the Banque de l’Indo-Chine and the French Consulate. On the British Concession are the Tennis Courts, with the United States Consulate-General behind; and a little farther on the British Consulate-General and Gardens. The British Post Office is in the Consulate building. Other buildings facing the Bund are the German Consulate, Christ Church, and the residence of the Commissioner of Customs.


 
 
Canton, Its Port, Industries and Trade
Ref: Canton Advertising and Commission Agency, 1932 ~ oldshameen.com
When the foreign merchants returned to Canton to establish trade after the capture of the city by the English at the 1857, they found the factory and buildings along the river in ruins. Recourse for accommodation was consequently had to warehouses on the Honam side of the river. Considerable discussion subsequently took place as to the selection of a site for a permanent British settlement, and it was eventually determined that an extensive mud flat know as Shameen should be filled in and appropriated.

In 1859 an artificial island was created there, a canal constructed between the northern site and the city, and solid and extensive embankments of masonry built. It took about two years to complete this undertaking, and cost $325,000. Of this sum four-fifths were defrayed by the British, and one-fifth by the French Government, to whom a portion of the reclaimed land was given. Up to 1889 most of the French Concession remained unutilized, but in that year a number of lots were sold and are now built upon. The French also received a grant of the old site of the Viceroy’s Yamen, on which the Catholic Cathedral now stands.

Shameen is pleasingly laid out with gardens and tennis courts, and the roads are shaded with well-grown trees. Christ Church (Church of England) stands at the western end and close to it are situated the Masonic Hall, Boat House and Club. Handsome new premises, costing half-million dollars, for the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation were opened in Central Avenue on October 29th, 1921. There is a Roman Catholic Church on the French Concession. The Settlement contains good hotel accommodation. During an anti-foreign riot on the 10th September 1883, 16 houses and the Concordia Theatre on the Settlement were burned by the mob.


The Canal between Canton and the Island of Shameen



The Tomb of the Seventy-two Heroes, Temple Hill, Canton


The Wheelbarrow, Canton


The Shameen Canal form the French Bridge, Canton


Life on the river, Canton


Looking across the Shameen Canal, Canton.


Looking down the Chukiang River into the homes of the 400,000 Boat Population of Canton.


Mandarin and Family -- Canton


Mandarin Lady ~ Canton


House Boats -- The Homes of Millions of Chinamen, Canton.

 
 

16


CONTENTS
Ancient China In Three Dimension

BACK TO CONTENTS
..


BACK TO 3-D
CONTENTS

MANITOBA PHOTO ARCHIVE
CONTENTS
.
Part of the
Hillman Eclectic Studio

Hillman Brandon University EduTech Research Project
All Original Work : Image Restoration ©2011/2016
William Hillman
Assistant Professor (Retired)
Brandon University